Simplified dosing and administration for all patients with Ferinject
Ganzoni formula calculation is not required
Ferinject offers simplified dosing and administration for all patients compared with other commonly prescribed IV irons:
- Ferinject is the only IV iron to have simplified dosing for all patients
- Ferinject is the only IV iron that can be administered in a single dose up to 1000mg as either an infusion or injection (as per dosing recommendations which includes a 30-minute observation following administration)
Determination of the cumulative iron dose:
The cumulative dose for repletion of iron using Ferinject is determined based on the patient’s body weight and haemoglobin level. This dose must not be exceeded. The table below can be used to determine the cumulative iron dose.
Determination of the iron need
Ferinject does not require the Ganzoni formula to determine the required dose.
Ferinject only requires the patient‘s current weight and current haemoglobin (Hb) level to calculate the required dose of iron.
A cumulative iron dose of 500 mg should not be exceeded for patients with a body weight <35 kg. Ferinject should only be administered when staff trained to evaluate and manage anaphylactic reactions is immediately available, in an environment where full resuscitation facilities can be assured. The patient should be observed for adverse effects for at least 30 minutes following each Ferinject administration.
• A maximum single dose of 20 mg/kg body weight up to 1000 mg of iron can be administered by intravenous drip infusion
• A maximum single dose of 15 mg/kg body weight up to 1000 mg of iron can be administered by intravenous injection
• Do not administer 1000 mg of iron more than once per week
For stability reasons, dilution to concentrations less than 2 mg iron / ml are not permissible. †Maximum amount of sterile 0.9% m/V sodium chloride solution.
1. Ferinject Summary of Product Characteristics.